Cage Free vs Pasture Raised Chicken: What's the difference?
Cage Free, Free range, Organic, pasture raise ahhh! So many options!
It can be really difficult to decide which one is the healthiest option, I get it!
Let me give you the definitions of all of them so you can decide for yourself which is the most ethical and healthy.
Cage Free vs. Free Range
They both sound great but when you look into one of there barns they don't look great.
- The chickens don’t live in cages.
- That is about it, they can still be crammed into barns as long as are not in cages
- The chickens need 2 square feet of outdoor area per bird.
Organic vs. Pasture-Raised
- The chickens only eat organic feed.
- The chickens are not given any antibiotics or hormones.
- Organic chickens must meet Free Range qualifications as well.
- Our chickens are raised outside on pastures like nature intended them to be raised
- Have a mobile structure that allows shade to keep them cool and comfortable
- They are never given any antibiotics or hormones
- Our Pasture-raised chickens eat a diet made up of provided feed that is Non GMO and foraged grubs and insects, which is the natural diet of healthy birds.
- chickens are naturally omnivores so if you see chicken that is labeled "vegetarian fed diet"... that is not natural
If you ever want more pictures of our chickens or have any questions on how they are raised, please reach out!