How to cook with cast iron
A little suprising secret..
Keegs, my husband, is actually the one who got me hooked on cooking with cast iron!
This is one thing I am so thankful for because from the outside, cast iron cooking looks scary... not sure why, but it does!
We use ours every day and wow I am thankful for the flavor it brings.
Here are some simple steps to get you started with cast iron cooking:
Use fat, oil and more fat
- This seasons up the pan so it is non-stick and delicious.
- I would suggest our pastured bacon when you start to get really yummy fats into your pan and future meals!
Avoid tomatoes or other acidic foods right away
- Don't worry to much about this but for the 1st month avoid cooking with these foods so your pan stays oiled.
Cook with your skillet as much as you can
- Eggs for breakfast, leftovers for dinner, sautéed veggies supper
- The more you use it, the better it becomes... trust me!
Don't stress about a clean skillet
- We leave ours on the stove but if that bothers you just do a quick wipe down... no soap though!
Really cast iron cooking is not hard and worth it 100%.
No weird chemicals in this non-stick pan halleluiah!
Happy cast iron cooking